Monday, October 24, 2005

15 Minutes of Solitude

This morning I was driving to school and enjoying the drizzle (I don't know why I like gloomy days so much... they just feel so peaceful and refreshing and cozy for some reason), working my ill stock Civic stereo as always. As I was puttering along, I was station surfing through all the inane morning show chatter, getting bored by Chuck Swindoll (does that sound close to blasphemous?), and getting annoyed by Ciara on KDAY. I was also dissatisfied with the CD collection in my car (I think today could have been a Sade morning but alas, left the CD at home). So I did something revolutionary.

I shut the dang thing off.

I drove the rest of the way to school with only the swish-squeeeeaak of my windshield wipers and the putt-putt of my engine to keep me company. It was great. I've rarely had moments of solitude since starting school, what with trying to keep up with classes, people, church... I realized I've gotten lazy about keeping up with myself. I haven't really THOUGHT about things in a few weeks, and I'm sorry to report that it sits well with my soul at the moment. Autopilot is a bit too comfortable. I think it has to do with the fact that when I think these days, the self-doubt starts to creep in, and I drive myself crazy with the "what ifs" and the "buts" and the all-too-various ways my thoughts branch out from the trunk of one simple quandary. (I realized that I write parenthetically a lot; I think this is an example of my tangential mode of thinking... but this is also probably common in most people.)

Anyhoo, the quiet was good. It was a peaceful quiet, not the harebrained-jumbled-thoughts quiet that sometimes haunts me before I sleep at night. It made me thank my Maker. It made my steps lighter for the rest of the day.

And it made me appreciate my blaring stereo on the drive home. =)

Comments:
Your commute takes 15 minutes?
 
no, i just had silence for the last 15 mins
 
Do you come up with the titles before or after writing the actual entries?

PS. I can't believe Cal couldn't cover 11 points against the fricking Cougars. I'm broke...
 
silence is indeed...golden
 
howdy partner
 
ed: it's a mix... i usually come up with them after, but sometimes before if i have a definite idea of what i'm writing.

bkwrds: whattup sister.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?