Monday, November 07, 2005

I'm Woman, Hear Me RAWR!

RAWR!!

Sometimes I get really disturbed when I listen to Christian talk radio. This morning, for example, I was listening to Dr. James Dobson, and getting really heated under the collar. He was lauding this woman who decided to be a full time homemaker in order to take care of her six children, and while he said he was reserving judgment about career women, it just sounded so very disapproving, and consistent with the general tone on this station that tells me that good Christian women take care of their families and don't have careers.

RAWR!

I'm not saying these things because I'm a raging feminist and I need to pay lip service to the cause. I don't think I'm a feminazi, contrary to the way that this may sound. I'm just TIRED of hearing from conservative Christians that to really do God's will and to be a good woman, I need to give up hopes of a life outside the home and focus my life efforts on child-rearing and home-tending. While I think these are absolutely worthwhile, even noble undertakings, I truly believe that God has placed a different calling in my life. And how dare anyone make a judgment call on that? This is between me and God-- women's lives and callings should not be used to advance conservative propaganda about the sanctity of hearth and home. And my mother worked full-time while I was growing up, but never for one second has that made me feel she was a part-time mother.

RAWR!

The broadcast reminded me of another broadcast that I heard quite awhile back, from Alistair Begg. It made me really upset because he was basically imploring the single men in his congregation to "rescue" the single mothers in the church, and consider them for wife material prior to looking to the single women. That way, if these men married these women, they could be "relieved" of the burden of working AND raising children, and be free just to be homemakers. As if this is all that the women could possibly have wanted out of life, or as if they were despairing because they were single mothers and didn't have big strong men to take care of them. Well, answer me this: why is it that he wasn't imploring the single women in the congregation to "rescue" the single fathers? Why is it okay for a man to be a single father and work and take care of his children, but it's not okay for a woman? And no, this wasn't explicitly stated, but I find his failure to address a single father's "need" to be a glaring indication of a one-sided view.

RAWR!

If I were a single mother, I'm sure I would want to someday find a husband and get re-married and build a complete family for my child(ren). But stinkin... that doesn't mean that I'm gonna sit around and have a pity party and hope that I can turn the head of some man that will be looking to rescue me! And that doesn't mean that some pastor needs to peddle the single mothers in his congregation as if they were some second-hand damaged goods that needed to be moved off the shelves or moved to the front before the shiny unused goods. Contrary to popular belief, not all women place their value and worth in the type of husband they can snag. Some women do fine being single!!!

RAWR!!!!

I should really stop listening to this station. I'm sure it's bad for my blood pressure.

Comments:
While I don't necessarily agree that all women should be homemakers, don't you think that the first woman talked about SHOULD have been a full time homemaker? I mean, she has SIX children, someone should be there to take care of them. Having six children and NOT staying home would be completely irresponsible, in my opinion. And unless there's someone else who can take care of the children, then either the mother or father should probably take on that responsibility. And why should it be the mother over the father? Because, on the whole (I'm NOT making a blanket statement, this is just based on my observations), women are better suited to taking care of the children, hehehe. I'm assuming one or two of the six children are toddlers, and the mother starts to build a connection with the children from the minute they are born. Thus, it just makes more sense ... usually.

That being said, you're a bit scary, completely justified in your views, but a bit scary as well. Not a lot though, because I know you punch like a girl.
 
I wasn't saying that he was wrong for saying that this specific woman was right in being a homemaker, I'm syaing I'm tired of the general overtones about women who choose to have a career AND children. I agree, I think a woman with 6 children probably should be a full-time mom because I can't see how she has time for anything else.

And, you SHOULD be scared of me.
 
thats why u should listen to secular stuff
 
i'm waiting for my CD... :)
 
haha, I wanna see you punch!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?