Tuesday, May 02, 2006
I Thought the Grass Was Supposed to Be Greener
School is supposed to be nice because even though you have to work constantly, and you have to scrounge for couch change to do your laundry or eat lunch, you get your summers off and you don't have to work a regular schedule.
In law school, you work all year, and then you work some more the first summer so that you can be "marketable" for a summer associate job your second summer (or you work another summer for bupkis), so that you can get hired after you graduate. No summers off.
Work is supposed to be nice because you work a regular schedule, but go home at the end of the day and leave your work behind. And, you have enough money to afford your own washer and dryer unit.
For an attorney job that pays enough to have your own washer and dryer, you can go home and leave your work behind... if you're ok with leaving your office at 2. AM, mind you. If you don't mind the laundromat, you can work fewer hours, but you're still scrounging for change (maybe you have enough for laundry AND food, though... I guess it's a step up). And, if you're in massive law school debt (like me), fuhgeddaboutit. You're living at work until you can get your debt manageable so that you can take the low-paying, but honorable, job that you went to school for in the first place.
In light of all this, it seems that there's a big fat monkey wrench thrown into my plans of working hard in school, then living off the fat of the land (more or less) for the rest of my life. Something's gone terribly awry.
But then again, I guess I'm not working THAT hard right now, considering I have a final in 2 days and I'm blogging.
And, I'm just kidding. Only idiots go to law school to make lots of money.
In law school, you work all year, and then you work some more the first summer so that you can be "marketable" for a summer associate job your second summer (or you work another summer for bupkis), so that you can get hired after you graduate. No summers off.
Work is supposed to be nice because you work a regular schedule, but go home at the end of the day and leave your work behind. And, you have enough money to afford your own washer and dryer unit.
For an attorney job that pays enough to have your own washer and dryer, you can go home and leave your work behind... if you're ok with leaving your office at 2. AM, mind you. If you don't mind the laundromat, you can work fewer hours, but you're still scrounging for change (maybe you have enough for laundry AND food, though... I guess it's a step up). And, if you're in massive law school debt (like me), fuhgeddaboutit. You're living at work until you can get your debt manageable so that you can take the low-paying, but honorable, job that you went to school for in the first place.
In light of all this, it seems that there's a big fat monkey wrench thrown into my plans of working hard in school, then living off the fat of the land (more or less) for the rest of my life. Something's gone terribly awry.
But then again, I guess I'm not working THAT hard right now, considering I have a final in 2 days and I'm blogging.
And, I'm just kidding. Only idiots go to law school to make lots of money.
